A. Elizabeth Arnold
A. Elizabeth Arnold
Positions and Education:
2015-present Professor, School of Plant Sciences, The University of Arizona
Professor, Department of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
Professor, Graduate Interdisciplinary Program in Genetics
Curator, Robert L. Gilbertson Mycological Herbarium
2010-2015 Associate Professor and Curator, as above
2005-2010 Assistant Professor and Curator, as above
2003-2004 National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow: Microbial Biology, Duke University
2002 Ph.D., Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, The University of Arizona
Honors and Awards:
2017 Warren Herb Wagner Lecturer in Plant Evolution, University of Michigan
2016 William H. Weston Award for Outstanding Teaching, Mycological Society of America
2016 Fellow, Bart Cardon Academy of Teaching Excellence, The University of Arizona
2014 Outstanding Seminar Speaker, Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden Graduate Student
2013 1885 Distinguished Scholar, The University of Arizona
2013 Staff Award for Excellence, Women in Science and Engineering
2012 Alexopoulos Prize, Outstanding Early Career Mycologist, Mycological Society of America
2011 Buller Medal, Outstanding Young Mycologist in North America, International Mycological
2011 David E. Cox Teaching Award, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, The University of
Executive Editor, Mycologia
Co-editor, Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution: Coevolution
Associate Editor, American Journal of Botany
Subject Editor, Biotropica
Community ecology, evolutionary ecology, mycology, tropical biology, microbial ecology
- Sarmiento, C., P.-C. Zalamea, J.W. Dalling, A.S. Davis, S.M. Stump, J.M. U’Ren, A.E. Arnold. 2017. Soilborne fungi have host affinity and host-specific effects on seed germination and survival in a lowland tropical forest. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, in press.
- Shaffer, J.P., J.M. U’Ren, D.A. Baltrus, R.E. Gallery, A.E. Arnold. 2017. An endohyphal bacterium (Chitinophaga, Bacteroidetes) influences carbon source use by Fusarium keratoplasticum (F. solani species complex, Nectriaceae). Frontiers in Microbiology 8: e350.
- Baltrus, D.A., K. Dougherty, K.R. Arendt, M. Huntemann, A. Clum, M. Pillay, K. Palaniappan, N. Varghese, N. Mikhailova, D. Stamatis, T.B.K. Reddy, C.Y. Ngan, C. Daum, N. Shapiro, V. Markowitz, N. Ivanova, N. Kyrpides, T. Woyke, A.E. Arnold. 2017. Absence of genome reduction in diverse, facultative endohyphal bacteria. Microbial Genomics 3: 000101.
- U’Ren, J.M., J. Miadlikowska, N. Zimmerman, F. Lutzoni, J. Stajich, A.E. Arnold. 2016. Contributions of North American endophytes to the phylogeny, ecology, and taxonomy of the Xylariaceae. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 98: 210-232.
- Bascom-Slack, C., A.E. Arnold, S.A. Strobel. 2012. Student-directed discovery of the plant microbiome and its products. Science 338: 485-486.