Education & Research Experience:
- Fulbright-Kalam Postdoctoral fellow, University ofArizona (2022 - present).
- SIDEER and PBC Postdoctoral fellow, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Israel (2019-2022).
- PhD in Ecology and Evolution, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Thiruvananthapuram, India (2015-2019).
- M.S. in Biology, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Thiruvananthapuram, India (2013-2015).
- B.Tech. in Bioengineering, The Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy, SASTRA University, India (2009-2013).
My research interest spans many areas in ecology and evolution pertaining to biological diversity at various scales and organizations. I apply macroecological and macroevolutionary perspectives to characterize processes that underlie various broad-scale biodiversity patterns, and to predict how biodiversity will shift in response to recent environmental change.
- Murali, G., Iwamura, T., Meiri, S. and Roll, U., 2023. Future temperature extremes threaten land vertebrates. Nature, pp.1-7.
- Murali, G., Gumbs, R., Meiri, S. and Roll, U., 2021. Global determinants and conservation of evolutionary and geographic rarity in land vertebrates. Science advances, 7(42), p.eabe5582.
- Murali, G., 2018. Now you see me, now you don't: dynamic flash coloration as an antipredator strategy in motion. Animal Behaviour, 142, pp.207-220.
- Murali, G., Merilaita, S. and Kodandaramaiah, U., 2018. Grab my tail: evolution of dazzle stripes and colourful tails in lizards. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 31(11), pp.1675-1688