Positions and Education:
Honors and Awards:
- 2013 Annual award from La Recherche popular science magazine, Applied Math.
- 2006 Elected at Institut Universitaire de France
I am interested in the interplay of ecological and evolutionary processes: how ecological interactions shape selection acting on individual traits variation, and how in return adaptive traits evolution influences population dynamics, community structure and diversity, and ecosystem function. My research involves three levels of investigation. (1) Mathematical foundations of eco-evolutionary modelling: deriving ‘macroscopic’ models of quantitative traits evolution starting from ‘microscopic’ models of individual interactions and heritable variation. (2) Applying the general theory to major questions in ecology and evolution, including the evolution of cooperative interactions at the gene, cell, organism and population levels; life history evolution; evolution of species interactions and community structure and diversity; and eco-evolutionary responses of populations, communities and ecosystems to environmental change. (3) Connecting the theory to specific empirical systems. I am involved in the development of the CNRS-ENS Ecotron in Paris, in a partnership with Biosphere 2 at the University of Arizona, to promote next-generation large-scale experiments on complex ecological systems under highly controlled environmental conditions.
- Driscoll WW, Hackett JD, Ferriere R (2016) Eco-evolutionary feedbacks between private and public goods: evidence from toxic algal blooms. Ecology Letters, 19:81-97.
- Gascuel F, Ferriere R, Aguilée R, Lambert A (2015) The shape and temporal dynamics of phylogenetic trees arising from ecological speciation. Systematics Biology 64:590-607.
- Ferriere R, Legendre S (2013) Eco-evolutionary feedbacks, adaptive dynamics and evolutionary rescue theory. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 368 DOI: 10.1098/rstb.2012.0081.
- Stegen JC, Ferriere R, Enquist BJ (2012) Evolving ecological networks and the emergence of biodiversity patterns across temperature gradients. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B1731:1051-1060.
- Champagnat N, Ferriere R & Méléard S (2006) Unifying evolutionary dynamics: from individual stochastic processes to macroscopic models. Theoretical Population Biology 69: 297-321.